Dessert for one? Coming right up.
All Photos: Nicole Crane
Craving apple pie now that fall is in full effect? We've got you covered with this caramel apple mug cake—a single-serving dessert that takes just a few minutes to make.
Combining fresh apple chunks with ingredients like whole wheat flour (or whatever flour you prefer), almond milk, cinnamon, and a touch of applesauce, this mug cake (or, I guess, more accurately, a ramekin cake) features a healthy "caramel" that's made with just maple syrup, almond butter, and a hint of vanilla. (Related: 10 Healthy Mug Recipes to Make In Your Microwave Right Now)
And despite its small size, this caramel apple mug cake is mighty in nutrition: At only 315 calories with 9 grams of fat total, it packs in a good amount of protein (9g), fiber (more than 6g), and calcium (22 percent of your recommended daily value)—not too shabby for dessert. (Next up: This Healthy Single-Serve Brownie Recipe Is the Ultimate After-Work Treat)
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to make it.
Caramel Apple Mug Cake Recipe for One
Serves 1 (or 2 small servings if you ~really~ feel like sharing)
- 1/2 medium Granny Smith apple (or another variety that bakes well)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
For "caramel" sauce
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon creamy almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
1. Place almond butter, maple syrup, and 1/4 teaspoon of the vanilla extract in a small bowl. Use a fork to whisk it together into a smooth mixture.
2. Peel and dice the apple, and place in another small bowl.
3. Add all remaining ingredients to apple bowl, and mix well with a spoon to create batter.
4. Spoon 1/3 of batter into a mug, ramekin, or small bowl, and use back of the spoon to spread batter out. Drizzle 1/3 of the caramel mixture on top.
5. Add another 1/3 batter to same mug or ramekin, then more caramel sauce, followed by the last of the batter and caramel sauce on top.
6. Microwave mug cake on high for 90 seconds to 2 minutes, or until the batter seems slightly firm and cooked.
7. Allow to cool slightly—but then totally dig that spoon into this luscious caramel goodness.